Are you thinking of building a home, remodeling or adding additional space to your home?
Here are a few things to consider when hiring a contractor to do work for you.
Take care in hiring a contractor. Some tips:
1. Check with friends, neighbors, trade associations, and home improvement stores for referrals. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.
2. Get three bids, then bargain. Question extremely low bids.
3. Don’t hire someone who “just completed work in your area” and offers you a bargain.
4. Avoid contractors with no street address. Verify phone numbers.
5. Resist high-pressure tactics.
6. Get written estimates and references.
7. Ensure proper permits are obtained and paid for.
8. Get your own loan. Never pay in full up front; arrange for payments upon completion of defined amounts of work. Make sure you are satisfied before making final payment.
Remember, these kind of experiences do add stress to your life. Be patient. Especially in this busy season of building. Many subcontractors are months out. Plan extra time for delays.
I hope you have an enjoyable experience. Remember you can call me to get a recommendation. I work with several contractors in the area and I am always here to help you!